Wednesday, November 27, 2013

I am Thankful for Books

Several years ago I made a list of 15 books, which have shaped the way I see myself and the world (as if those are two separate entities).  I think I would add Ann Carson’s “Eros the Bittersweet”, and “Pedagogy of the Oppressed,” by Paulo Freire to the list today. Here is the list I made then, no specific order or rank:

The I Ching
Canterbury Tales: Chaucer
The Name of the Rose: Umberto Eco
Howl: Allen Ginsburg
The Book of Nightmares: Galway Kinnell
Tao de Ching: Lao Tzu
Persona: Pound
Pilgrim at Tinker Creek: Annie Dillard
The Non-Conformist Memorial: Susan Howe
Trilogy: H.D.
Collected Poems of Wallace Stevens
Poems for the Millenium, Vol 1&2, ed. by J. Rothenberg
After Ikkyu: Jim Harrison
Philisophical Investigations: L. Wittgenstein

Stand on Zanzibar:  John Brunner

No comments: